This is my own version of a very quick moussaka-type dish. Since I didn’t have enough meat sauce to make the whole dish, I needed to improvise with other ingredients. The result was better than expected.
You will need:
- Meat sauce – I prepared mine earlier with a mixture of beef and pork minced meat.
- White sauce – do not use a low-fat version if you’re on a low carb diet
- Sliced aubergine – which has been prepared by ‘sweating’, like in the first part of this recipe. You don’t need to grill the slices, they will cook sufficiently in the oven.
- Tomatoes, sliced and deseeded
- Fresh rucola leaves
- Cheddar, chopped roughly into slices or chunks. You may also mix in some pepato or other cheese if you prefer.
Place alternate layers until you’ve filled your dish; although¬†it is wisest to¬†place the rucola in the middle so it won’t get burned in the oven. Give it about 30-40 minutes in a 180 degree oven (on fan), until well browned at the top. You may insert a knife through the aubergine¬†skin to make sure it is soft, and thus cooked¬†enough.