Think of this as making a frittata or thick omelette, but dividing it into handy snack-size muffins to eat on the go. They’re easy to make, contain very few ingredients and you’ll thank yourself for the next 2 days (depending on how many mouths you’re feeding obviously). This method also helps to regulate portion size, because these are surprisingly filling. Bonus – low carb content, nutritious and especially delicious – ideal for snacking on the go and for those mid morning or mid afternoon hunger bangs. As per usual with ‘breakfast’ food, these can be consumed at any time. They are also great cold. Not sold yet? Give it a go..
For about 12 muffins (one portion is about 1 muffin for breakfast and 2/3 muffins when you’re hungrier)
– 6 whole eggs
– 3 slices of bacon
– 2 cups spinach
– 1 cup crumbled Feta cheese
– 1/2 cup grated Parmesan (or Cheddar)
– salt and pepper to taste (I omitted the salt as there was enough in the cheese in my opinion)
– preheat your oven to 175 Celsius
– rinse and cook the spinach for a few minutes until it wilts, remove the excess water.Â Set aside to cool.
– chop up the bacon into small pieces (about 0.5mm cubes) and fry in a dry pan until it’s as crunchy as you like it. Drain any excess oil and set aside to cool.
– whisk the eggs in a bowl until frothy
– add the cheeses and salt/pepper and combine with the spinach and bacon when these have cooled
– oil/butter your muffin pan VERY WELLÂ (these are mighty sticky!)
– divide your mixture into portions in your muffin pan
– bake for about 30/40 minutes until just starting to brown at the top and firm to the touch
My reference was this. Loving this website.
I can think of quite a few variations to these! Will definitely be making them again ðŸ™‚