Last week there were several things in my freezer which I wanted to use up so I made a large batch of the following – which I then turned into a few tasty meals.
In a large wok and a tablespoon of coconut oil, I added
– 400g minced chicken (use beef/turkey/soya or omit altogether)
– 1 cup mixed frozen veg
– 2 cups frozen or fresh (chopped up) spinach
– one onion, minced
– 1 spring onion, roughly chopped
– 1 cup chopped celery sticks
– 2 cloves of garlic
– 2 teaspoons fish sauce
– 3 tablespoons dark soy sauce
– 1 teaspoon chopped chili
– 1 teaspoon mixed herbs (oregano, rosemary, thyme)
You will need to add your ingredients in the order in which they cook and allow enough time for the minced chicken to cook through. In fact you may want to cook your chicken separately if you’re less experienced (or just because you prefer it that way) and then combine into your vegetables towards the end. In any case, it’s important to break up the pieces of minced chicken that will inevitably clump together whilst cooking, to make sure that all parts are cooked well.
To your hot pan add chopped onions, garlic and celery and give these a few minutes to cook and start to soften. Then add your chicken (if cooked all together) and other vegetables, herbs, spices and sauces. Stir regularly to ensure that everything cooks well and is homogeneous.
And these are the things that I made with this lovely mixture:)
1. Fresh and steaming with barley
2. Lunchbox with barley and cheese
3. Chicken and veg pie