Inspired by this recipe and with some minor changes, this chicken dish is heart-warming and sure to please.
To start off, I marinated the two boneless chicken thighs in this mixture for one hour:
– apple juice
– 1 teaspoon French mustard powder
– 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
– ¬†1 teaspoon local honey
– 2 minced cloves of garlic
For the next part of the recipe you will need:
– marinated chicken (as above or see this post about brining)
– 4 tablespoons chickpeas (or 1 can, as preferred)
– 200ml tomato sauce (with a little extra just in case you need to adjust the heat later) to which 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar or sugar has been added
– about one or two teaspoons hot chili sauce or harissa sauce according to taste, it’s safest to start with a small amount, you can always add more later
– 1 tablespoon olive oil for cooking
– a bunch of parsley to garnish
Heat your oven to about 180 degrees C
Remove¬†the chicken from its marinade and cook in a hot pan with olive oil for 3-4 minutes on each side. Then add the tomato sauce, chili/harissa sauce ¬†and chickpeas and continue to cook and blend the ingredients for about 4 minutes.
Place all the ingredients in a deep casserole dish, cover with lid and place in the hot oven for 30 minutes, flipping the chicken over and mixing the ingredients half way through. Do a taste test and add chili or tomato sauce if necessary.